Sahir House is looking for new trustees to join its board.
Sahir House is a multi-award-winning charity, which provides support for people living with (or affected by) HIV, LGBTQ+ people and those from the asylum and refugee communities. We also provide a range of support, sexual health testing, promotion and training services.
For 35 years, Sahir House has provided safe and confidential support in Merseyside for people living with HIV. We also support those marginalised and vulnerable because of related intersectionality such as refugee / asylum status, ethnicity, gender and sexuality, and related long term health conditions. We have recently expanded our charitable aims to reflect this, making this an exciting time to join us.
Sahir House is led by a CEO with support from an experienced senior management team. The Trustee Board provides governance and oversight. There are currently six trustees, and approximately six trustee meetings a year, with additional opportunities to join ad hoc working groups on specific matters, and attend quarterly meetings of the Finance Committee.
Skills and experience required
We are seeking people who are committed to the values of our charity; who are able to communicate with diplomacy and who can exercise fairness and good judgement. We are seeking a mix of skills and experience to complement the current board members. We don’t expect candidates to have all of the skills below. We are particularly looking for the following skills / experience:
- Financial management and business planning – We welcome people with experience gained in the private sector who can give a different perspective on this aspect of the charity’s work.
- Digital media, communications and engagement – in a post-COVID world, more of our work will be delivered through digital means.
- Grant funding and service level agreements / contracts – Sahir House is funded through a mix of contracts, grant funding and income generated from fundraising and training activities. With new contracts due to be tendered within the next year, we are looking to strengthen the board in this area.
- Knowledge of health and social care systems – the following would help the board to develop: an understanding of how health and social care is funded, commissioned and delivered; experience of influencing decision makers and addressing health inequalities.
Our trustees serve in a voluntary capacity and out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed by the charity. Sahir House invests in the personal development of board members, ensuring their skills and knowledge develop in line with the changing demands of the role. You do not need to have been a trustee before to apply.
All appointments are subject to satisfactory references.
- Closing date for applications: Monday 29 March 2021
- Please send your CV and a covering letter (no more than one side of A4) telling us why you are interested in joining Sahir House and what you would bring to the organisation, using the trustee role description for reference, to: email@example.com by Monday 29 March 2021.
- Please complete the equal opportunities monitoring information here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/9VJB6WG
Sahir House recently changed its governing documents to reflect the work carried out to the vulnerable groups we support. Service users were consulted and after positive feedback, Sahir House has reviewed its charitable aims to reflect growing needs. Sahir House welcome this development and are working hard to create high quality support to better support people living with HIV and those with related long-term health conditions in Merseyside. We also promote good sexual, mental and emotional health of: people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgendered; people who are questioning their sexuality/sexual orientation and/or gender identity; people experiencing discrimination on grounds of their race, ethnicity, nationality, immigration status or any protected characteristic, and associated / affected groups and communities.
Click here for Charity Commission listings about us.
The Sahir House Board of Trustees is an elected body from the charitable membership of Sahir House including volunteers, co-opted members and people living with HIV. Here at Sahir House our trustees all have individual skills, specialisms and knowledge in different areas of life and careers, bringing a diverse and inclusive range of people together, but keeping HIV at the heart of the organisation.
The board oversees the charitable aims and is in a position of trust and responsibility for the benefit of Sahir House and all who use our services. The board meets six times a year to determine the strategic direction of Sahir House.