Over the course of the last thirty years HIV has brought people together from diverse backgrounds whose stories were unheard. The journey with HIV is one that has largely gone unrecorded.
It involved a collection of oral testimonies from people living with and affected by HIV, community activists, voluntary and public sector health and social care workers, and researchers. Key themes for the project included:
- the impact of HIV on people’s lives in the context of medical,
- social and political developments;
- community responses and activism;
- experiences of stigma, discrimination and empowerment and;
- the development of community and professional support services.
A record of this journey showed what is possible when communities come together and how current challenges have their roots in the past.
There innovative project created an important legacy for people living with and affected by HIV and for those who have been lost to HIV.