Ahead of the World Cup 2022 Final, held in Qatar on Sunday 18th December the two charities are uniting to raise awareness, support and funds for LGBT+ Asylum Seekers and overcoming barriers for the LGBT+ community in physical activity.
The 2022 World Cup officially kicked off in Qatar on 20th November, beginning weeks of competition in the world’s most popular sport. Beloved football stars take to the world stage to represent their countries, however the choice to host the world cup in a country that has one of the worst rankings in the world for LGBT+ rights and reports of serious human rights abuses of women & migrant workers has caused much conversation and upset for members of the LGBT+ community and allies.
Andi Herring, CEO of LCR Pride Foundation, said:
“Here in Liverpool and as an LGBT+ community regionally, nationally and internationally we love football, but we are faced with celebrating a sport we love and having to turn a blind eye to views that directly silence the right to be ourselves. With our friends at Sahir House we have been listening to our community’s concern and we can’t let this year’s World Cup end without one last challenge.”
Ant Hopkinson, CEO of Sahir House, added:
“Together, we have launched our “F**k the World Cup” campaign – a cheeky but much-needed call to action. We are calling for LGBT+ folk and our allies to make it clear that we are not OK with what’s playing out on and off the pitch in Qatar. We’re also calling for much needed donations towards our support service for LGBT+ asylum seekers and refugees – many of whom have fled situations of homophobia, transphobia and other forms of sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI-)based persecution.”
The organisations aren’t asking fans to boycott watching the game they love, but have given some easy actions that everyone can do to support the region’s LGBT+ community instead, such as:
• If you’re a venue in the region, show your support. Display the campaign materials and signpost your customers to support LCR Pride Foundation and Sahir House. Order your materials by email: email@example.com
• Fundraise to support LGBT+ physical activity and LGBT+ Asylum Seekers during the World Cup. Request a collection tin by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Text WORLDCUP to 70085 to donate £5. Texts will cost the donation amount plus one standard network rate message.
• Donate towards LGBT+ causes locally, find out more here: https://bit.ly/LGBTWORLDCUP
• Stand in solidarity with the campaign, print out our campaign poster and send us your best selfie. Download here: https://bit.ly/FTWCPoster
• Join AllOut.org’s petition to support change within FIFA and Qatar: www.allout.org/